Saturday, January 24, 2009

BAC Participant Highlights

My name is Evelyn Pazmino and this is my artist statement about my sculpture titled “Do You Live On The Right Side?”

My concept was to create a dollhouse that speaks about the issue of domestic violence because this is what people in the Bronx go through. By dividing a dollhouse in half, I juxtaposed two realities (What Do You See And What Is Really Happening?)




I made the right side of the dollhouse depict a family suffering from domestic violence. The left side is inhabited by the “ideal family”, (the TV or Hollywood family), where everything is always wonderful and perfect. The whole point of my piece was to put the audience in a difficult position, where they were forced to pick which side of the house they are closer to. This could either relieve them or fright them, and I think that made my piece very powerful.



The BAC Program taught me that I could place my audience in difficult positions or situations through my work and make change. Art is everywhere and people should give more credit to artists that help make our world a better place. I learned to connect with issues and concepts by looking at artists work and seeing how curators at NYC museums brought forth their work within a context; for example, I visited the Whitney Museum of American Art and experienced the Kara Walker Exhibition. It enlightened me on how African American people, and women more specifically, have been demeaned throughout the years in this country. It also helped me to see the entire world in a new light.

Evelyn Pazmino, BAC Participant 2007 - 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment