Thursday, January 15, 2009

BAC Participant Highlights

Consumption Is My Obsession, Digital Prints, 9X12”, 2008

As an artist I admit that I haven’t been exposed to the artwork of others. However, this changed once I joined the B.A.C Program. B.A.C has expanded my horizon and now art has more than one definition to me. Previous to the program, art was something that had to be an eye-pleaser. I eventually got to see that art goes way beyond that. Art is about making a statement in the most creative way. I’ve realized this by being exposed to such artists as Cai Guo Chang, Kara Walker, Lorna Simpson and Barbara Kruger.

I’ve also experienced that which the professional artist goes through, by exhibiting and curating shows. We were granted opportunities, exhibiting our artwork at the Haven Arts Gallery. We also juried, curated and led docent tours for DreamYard’s annual student art exhibition at Sotheby’s in January 2008.

These opportunities not only make a benefit to my future, but it also adds positive things to my character as an individual. It gives me pride as well as showing me how to handle my responsibilities. Public speaking made me proud as well as helped me develop more leadership qualities. The B.A.C. Program not only reassured me that I could have success at a young age, but the implications of that.

Amber Ade, DY Prep, B.A.C. Member 2007-2008

No comments:

Post a Comment